David Mann wrote:

>On Jan 20, 2018, at 2:18 PM, Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, all software & drivers... which unfortunately won't work with
>> modern operating systems (at least in the Microsoft world - don't know
>> about Mac). I've been using it with VueScan with great results.
>
>IIRC Minolta got out of the scanner business before Apple went to Intel.
>
>As it's USB you should be able to use it with an old OS in a virtual machine
>on modern hardware.  My experience with USB devices on Virtualbox is that it
>was a bit fiddly to set up but it worked very well.
>
>Your other choices are Vuescan, or an old machine (PPC Mac or Windows).  I had
>to keep old hardware as my scanner is Firewire.

There's also the option of SilverFast for software, though I don't
recommend it. The quality is excellent (my old Kodak RFS3600 scanner
came with SilverFast) but it's pricier than VueScan and - get this -
each version of SilverFast works with only one scanner: If/when you
get a new scanner you have to purchase the software again! No thanks,
SilverFast.

To use a FireWire scanner on my up-to-date computer hardware I just
bought an IEE1394 card and plugged it in. Good to go!

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com