Igor PDML-StR wrote:

But I digress...

And you digress very well.

The pinecones is an interesting photo, but it looks dark. It is not
necessarily the brightness. It's just that the complex details are not
popping out.
I don't know what should be done, - but I'd try to play with the
fill-in light (boosting up shadow areas), "vibrance", and "presence"
sliders in LR.

I tried brightening things up a bit. Here is the original:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/28327455309/in/album-72157693093943405/

Here is the modified:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/25280799037/in/album-72157693093943405/

Cheers,