By friday last I had received both the battery pack that I had bartered
for with Andre and the Ni-Cd batteries that I had ordered from DigiKey.
Armed with Rob Studdert's instructions I tore into the battery pack and
found things pretty much as described except:

Problem:  Batteries inside were not 1/3 AA but rather 1/3 A!  (Careful
reading would have revealed this fact).  This subtle distinction was lost
on me after the thread of ni-cd versus ni-mh of a couple of weeks ago
through which I was sure reference was made to 1/3AA.  We proceed
cautiously.

Observation: Cotton buds are Q-tips in North America.  And yes, the black
foam goo that holds the original batteries in place cleans up really quite
easily with alcohol and cotton swabs.

Resolution: 1/3AA packs can be made to fit into battery pack with some
effort but it is not as clean as I would like it to be.  The 1/3AA are
slightly longer and slightly narrower than the 1/3A's and the packs fit
when they are skewed sideways slightly.  Now I will have to wait several
years until this set of batteries times out and it is time to replace them
again.

Conclusions: i) I should be more patient in the future and order parts as
I am certain of what is required.  ii) The Ni-cd battery pack is a nice
alternative to the T-handle battery pack.