Hi, Eric:

My son started with a digital point & shoot. Once he was frustrated
with its limitations, I began teaching him with my *istDS in manual
mode. We'd go out and shoot the same things (both using the *istDS
bodies), and then compare the captures. To this day, he prefers the
*istDS body over any of the others I own (i.e., K10D, K20D, K-5, &
K-3). Mama's little Pentaxian (6'2") says the other cameras are "too
big", even without a battery grip.

I would have loved to have started him with my K1000, but there wasn't
a convenient and cost effective solution for processing. I used
smaller cards to teach him shot discipline.

Cheers,

Yonnie