> On Mar 8, 2018, at 3:03 PM, Igor PDML-StR <pdml...@komkon.org> wrote:
>
> You described the boy, but it is important to know what (and why) he is
> interested w.r.t. photography. Has he expressed his interest toward
> photography? Or he just wants to have a camera to take cool selfies?
> Has he taken any photos (e.g. with a phone or tablet)? Have you seen those?
> They might tell you some information…

Thanks, Igor. I regret to say that I didn’t inquire about that. I know he’s
artistically inclined. Likes to hang out with my artist son-in-law. Was very
curious about my camera when I spent some time with him last summer. Now that
you ask, though, I’ll check in with my sister about it.

> Whether to get a system with interchangeable lenses (e.g. micro-2/3) or not,
> - that would depend on the inclinations of the kiddo.
> If yes, meaning that the kid is expected to be very interested (and I'd talk
> to him; at 12, he is grown up enough for that) and have sufficient
> guidance, - I'd consider starting with a reasonable "normal" prime lens,
> adding a moderate zoom next, or the other way around.
> Otherwise, starting with a P&S with plenty of manual controls might be
> sufficient to see if the interest lasts.

Those were the two options I recommended, along with an instant film camera in
case they’re just exploring his interest.

> HTH

Definitely does, Igor.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"The invincible shield of caring Is a weapon
sent from the sky against being dead."

- Tao Te Ching 67