I had the same thoughts as what Bruce has already written, so, no reason to repeat. The only difference is that I believe preflash cannot be disabled in digital-era *-TTL. At least not with PTTL, and I don't think
it was possible with the  Nikon D300, D700.

That preflash is the essence of how D*-TTL works: it is used for measuring the exposure. So, I'd expect that the only way to disable the preflash on a *-TTL flash is to switch it to a non-*-TTL mode. That could be the legacy-TTL mode or a "manual" (i.e. using the specified level of power output, or just full-power-and-length) flash mode. I don't know any if any camera has that implemented either of the two for the pop-up flash. I doubt, but who knows, maybe...

An additional thought of what to consider:
1. You can get a cheap simple non-TTL hot-shoe flash (with a low trigger voltage!) as a trigger (for each of your students' cameras)
or
2. You can probably get a *-TTL-aware slave-trigger to the lights, connecting it via a PC-sync cable. (I have not checked if such triggers exist, but I would expect they should.)
This way you don't need anything added to the students' cameras.

HTH,

Igor