Using another flash to trigger studio strobes might work better with a plain old pre-TTL flash mounted on the hot-shoe. Just look for one without too high a trigger voltage.

I'm partial to Vivitar 285HV myself. The older "Made in Japan" models are better than the later "Made in China" versions, which don't seem to have the same durability.