Dale,
 I already have my gmail accounts set to allow less secure apps to connect.

 Which port are you using.  I'm using the suggested port of 995.

Still getting "failed to connect to server pop.gmail.com" when attempting
to download messages.

I haven't used Eudora in years but since you seem to have it working I
think I'll give it a whirl.  Funny thing is I'm not getting any messages
about blocked attempts.  It just fails to connect.

Strangely everything was working as expected until May 3, when the last
message downloaded was received at 12:02 AM.  Maybe years of working in IT
have made me paranoid, but that seems like just the date and time for a
software feature to be disabled.  Usually some notification is given to
users but this is Google we're dealing with here.  It would surely help if
Thunderbird had a logging feature that could be easily enabled, but if it
does it's well hidden.

The previous instructions on connecting to the the gmail pop server seem to
have disappeared from the Thunderbird help pages. both at Mozilla and
Google.  Only imap instructions are currently available for Thunderbird.
There are only generic instructions for using the pop server, though the
settings are those I'm already using.

Now the unfortunate thing...  Mozilla is the sole support, such as it is,
for Eudora, to use it I have to uninstall Thunderbird.

What version of Eudora are you using?  What platform?  If it's not Windows
even that might not solve my problem.