Back in the days of film, yet long after the M42 mount was obsolete, Modern Photography ran an article about winter photography.  The sample images were remarkably sharp, with as the article pointed out well controlled flair.  All of them were shot with Super Takumar primes, not SMC.  \

There are a lot of people who think anything not designed with computers and the latest electronics are simply outdated, but there were large numbers of modest, if not modestly priced lenses, (I remember looking at early bargain SMC-P lenses such as the 135 f3.5 and buying Vivitar instead for the extra stop of speed and lower price), that were extremely good optically probably easily up to the requirements of digital sensors.

I was able to pick up a SMC Pentax 135mm f3.5 for the price of the attached camera, (broken and cheap),  at the beginning of the digital era, (same as the Takumar optically IIRC), and was very impressed with it's light weight and excellent imaging properties, and amazing length compared to equivalent M, A, and F lenses.  I mean really it's 25% longer than the M 135mm f3.5, before you put on the hood.

Oh by the way, I wanted to check for exact for exact specifications on those lenses and tried to use Boz' page, and it was gone.   The new authors, Boz has passed on the torch, have moved it here: http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/