Subash, yes a sub species of grouse, pheasant family -- here is a nice writeup showing him in summer plummage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_ptarmigan

I'll check my notes -- I do have good notes from that trip - I think I had my 300 prime on my LX.  definitely shot with LX. The gravelly rise he was on makes it appear that I had to get down on my belly tograb that shot but I didn't...

Here is another view -- the original slide is sharp but my scan , done quite a few years ago, was not very good.  I should do it over
it is on a calendar and in a book as is, though.

https://annsan.smugmug.com/Works-in-Print/Books-in-Print/North-America-Naturally/i-V6MVrCB/M

He was pretty tame, for a bird who is hunted for food.

ann