>> On Jul 1, 2018, at 4:35 PM, Bob W-PDML <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
>>
>> Install LR on your iPhone and import them with that.
>
> Made a start on checking it out. One concern is addressed: you have control
> over what gets synced. Surprised that you can shoot with the app, as well as
> manage files and edit. What if you shoot with a different app? Will LR have
> access to those photos? (My guess is it doesn’t.)

Per my previous response to BobW, the output raw files from an iPhone driven by
the appropriate app (whether Image Capture or another on-camera app) are DNG
format and are completely compatible with Lightroom.

> On Jul 2, 2018, at 7:18 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 1, 2018, at 8:19 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godfreydigio...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> BTW: iPhoto has been dead and buried for at least four years. The currrent
>> app that took its place on macOS is Photos.
>>
>> When raw files are imported into Photos, presuming they're from a supported
>> camera, they're rendered to RGB for and allow you to edit and manipulate
>> them as you would with any other integrated raw processor/image
>> processor/photo manager.
>
> Thanks, Godfrey. I realized that Photo replaced iPhoto after posting my
> initial message. The photos on my phone are backed up to iCloud and show up
> in Photo. But I don’t want to use Photo for editing. I just want to get my
> images into a folder on my notebook from which I can import them into LR.

There's another way to do this if you want to use Lightroom on your notebook
computer: Connect the iPhone to your computer and then open Lightroom. Click
the Import button. The iPhone will display as an input volume in the inputs
list on the left. Select it, and then you can do all the usual things you do
when importing files with Lightroom. The files will be directed to where you
tell Lightroom to put them, you can choose which files to import specifically,
etc.

>> 1- Going from any iOS device to any macOS device: simplest is AirDrop.
>> Select what photos you want to move, tap the target. Respond to the notifier
>> on macOS to accept the files and put them in a folder (not Photos). They go
>> there. Done.
>
> As I said to Paul (Stenquist), I gave this a try. Fast and simple. Two
> issues. I’m not finding a way to set the target folder on my notebook. And I
> have to select images one-by-one. I want to select by group, e.g., all images
> from a certain date or in a certain folder.

Looking at photos in iOS Photos as a group, tap the Select command, then tap
each of the photos you want to transfer. But iOS Photos has limited tools for
navigating and selecting, it's true. ...

>> 2- Going from an iOS device to a macOS device with a Lightning to USB cable:
>> plug in the iPhone and start Image Capture, select the iPhone. A
>> comprehensive listing of all the photos on the phone appears. Select what
>> you want to move, tell macOS where you want to put them (somewhere in your
>> file system, NOT Photos, if you want to import them into Lightroom), and
>> click OK. Done.
>
> It was trying this that led me to post my original request for suggestions. I
> have about a 1000 images on my phone. About 250 were taken this past
> Saturday, along with a few short videos. It’s these minus the videos that I
> want to get off the phone.
>
> In Image Capture I have to select the images one-by-one. That’s cumbersome.
> (Update: As I was composing the preceding, a solution occurred to me: click
> at the beginning of the group, shift-click at the end, import. Then when the
> files are in the folder on the notebook, click the file-type column and
> delete the video files.)

All the standard macOS conventions for selecting things work in Image Capture:
Click the first, Shift-Click the end of a run will select the whole run.
Command-Click on files that are not in a run to select them for uploading.

You can also set Image Capture into Column View mode (control number 3 in this
image: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/845/41352980150_c7013bde57_o.png) and
sort by type, by date, etc, by clicking the column headers. You can then use
the selection conventions above on the sorted image as well.

> This is my solution for now and maybe permanently. I’ll be checking out the
> Mobile LR and SanDisk iXpand options in the future.

Again, if the goal is to get the photos onto your notebook and into Lightroom,
use the iPhone connected to your computer and Lightroom directly to do it. That
makes the most sense.

As I test (and because I hadn't backed all the photos on my iPhone 8 Plus up
recently), I moved them to my Mac mini using Image Capture (4,300 files of
JPEGs and movies … 14.5 Gbytes) which took 23 minutes. I did the same thing
with Lightroom, which took a similar amount of time and then another increment
of time to generate all the previews. The advantage of doing it with Lightroom
was that I set the destination to be a sub-directory tree sorted by date, so
all files from a given date were grouped together in folders as a starting
point, making it a lot easier to find things based on when events happened and
the photos were made.

I've not used Lightroom Mobile because I have no interest in subscribing to
Adobe's cloud services, Lightroom CC, etc. It's probably a good thing and
should make the process more seamless and easier to deal with, but it's just
not how I want to work at this time, and I don't want to use cloud services of
any kind for storing my photos. I only post photos that I have rendered and
finished for display to the net, in general.

—
"Simplify, simplify, simplify.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
"One 'simplify' would have sufficed." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson