It only became possible to "set" the focal length in the camera after SR was implemented,  Prior to that I don't think that Pentax or anyone else bothered since that was unimportant to the cameras ability to use the lens and being able to arbitrarily change the focal length in the EXIF could lead to unverified data being stored.   Let's face it knowing the focal length doesn't change the exposure decisions the camera has to make.