My old passport had a real, recognizable photo, taken with my glasses on, affixed to the page and laminated into place.

The ID photo in my current U.S. passport is almost unrecognizable due to the way it's printed on the page; looks like it was scanned and printed about 4 stops over-exposed.

On 11/15/2018 20:25, jco...@iinet.net.au wrote:
The e-passport system works most of the time, but it's not infallible, as my
wife found out in Europe this year.  It's also a bit of a nuisance to have
to take off your glasses, cap/hat, etc. when using it.  Why authorities
insist on having passport photos without glasses for people who wear them
all the time is beyond me.

John in Brisbane

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML <pdml-boun...@pdml.net> On Behalf Of John Francis
Sent: Friday, 16 November 2018 10:34 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: What do you think about the future of Pentax "flagship"
APS-C-
camera line?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 11:49:48AM -0500, John wrote:
On 11/15/2018 04:42, Rick Womer wrote:
IIRC, in an interview at one of the big shows last spring, a Pentax
honcho
said that a K-3ii successor was their first development priority.

It???s also true, though, that Ricoh (and all the other office
equipment
companies) are having a terrible time as the world abandons paper
documents.

Rick

Ironic in light of the increasing demand for physical photo-IDs.

I think that rather depends on where you are.

I recently had to renew my (British) passport.  Not only was I able to
submit
my photograph as a digital image - the passport itself also contains an
encoded
form of the image, readable electronically.  And apparently at some UK
airports
I could just walk up with the passport in hand, place it on the desk, and
look
into a camera.  My digital image from the camera would be checked against
the
biometric data encoded in the pasport, and if everything checked out I
would
be able to proceed through the gate.  I'm sure there would be somebody
present
to supervise things, but the whole verification process would be done
digitally.