Actually DSL modems are pretty much Ethernet routers with some proprietary firmware.  Depending on your provider you may or may not be able to use third party hardware.

I have what used to be AT&T U-Verse, now administrated by Frontier.  As far as I can tell, it's just a variation on a really big packet switching network, but no one seems to make a "Modem", which isn't really a modem at all, that will authenticate on that network.   Before AT&T "upgraded" their service to U-Verse, I always used a Netgear DSL "Modem", after the crappy AT&T supplied unit died, the Netgear units cost less had a better guarantee lasted longer in service.  U-Verse improved thru-put but the DSL modem contained propitiatory network recognition firmware.

The only good thing is although the "modem" is captive, it's a much better unit, only had one fail in about 10 years, and while I would rate Frontiers customer service as actually worse in some ways than AT&T's, (which I wouldn't have thought was possible), they actually managed to make U-Verse more trouble free than AT&T.

There are other options but in the U.S. one is at the mercy of the local public utilities commission, so there's usually one cable provider that supplies TV, Phone, and Internet, using a broadband coax solution, that might or might not need a propitiatory "Modem",  one Telephone provider, which pretty much covers the same spectrum but using an Ethernet over twisted wire, solution, which might or might not require propitiatory equipment to connect, (they also supply POTS if you're a Neanderthal like me),  or a satellite system for television and internet, (downloads), which also may depend on using your phone service, (which in my case would require a real modem), for some functions, (usually uploads).   You can get any number of Cellphone providers who will have some sort of data plan and use those for the internet as well, but usually they're inferior to cable of DSL for serious data transfer.

This is what is called "competition".  The real competition is who can buy the most members of the local PUC board with the the best free stuff, to protect their local monopoly.  In my area it's Comcast, did I mention that Comcast customer service is if possible even worse than Frontier's. Frontier is regulated at the State level, so those commissioners probably get even better perks.