On 1/4/2019 03:21:41, Steve Cottrell wrote:
On 4/1/19, John, discombobulated, unleashed:

I have to shut down my computer, then the router, then the modem; wait a
minute
or so and restart the modem. Wait until the modem is on line then restart the
router. Then I can restart the computer and log into the router.

I think I've got another modem about to crap out on me and that's the ISP's
problem because I have to use their modem to get internet + phone.

Why do you have to use their modem?

It's the "+ phone".

I don't "have" to use their modem, but I haven't been able to find a modem I can buy *that will work with their system* to give me internet + phone.

Back before I got the phone service through Time-Warner/Spectrum, I could use my own modem. Every time their modem fails, I search the internet but so far no joy.

For my broadband, I use one of these modems:

<https://tinyurl.com/ycmhdx7q>
(Links to Amazon UK page)

I don't have DSL/ADSL/VDSL. Those are only available in Raleigh through AT&T (Bellsouth). I'm still feuding with them & I won't have it.

I also have a Netgear 5 port gigabit switch hooked up:

My router is a Netgear ProSAFE FVS318G; VPN Router, Firewall and 8 port gigabit Ethernet - NOT wi-fi. It's a small business commercial product & I have a service contract.

It breaks and they send me a new one over-night and an actual technical person holds my hand over the telephone step-by-step while i get it connected.