Larry,
Just in case:
I wonder if Eric Hendrickson might be able to fix it, even though he
says that he is not working on digital cameras.
Before sending it to Pre-Cession, e-mail Eric to see if he'd be willing to look at it.
https://www.pentaxs.com/

Also, since you visit Portland and LA every so often, I wonder if
one of the their local repair shops would be willing to look at it.
I've just found this list of repair shops (US is at the bottom)
that are willing to work on Pentax cameras, and it lists one in Portland and two in LA & vicinity:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-pentax-repair-facilities-wordwide-listing.html

Good luck!

Igor