That may be reading too much into it.

However, I have noticed that the demand for the K-3 and K-3II, is unabated.  One appeared on KEH.com just a few days ago.  I thought seriously about buying it, and by the time I decided to pull the trigger, it was gone.  Less than an hour.  They are not easy to find on the used market, from reputable sources, and the NIB cameras seem to sell for more than original list.

There's a thirst for a Pentax K mount, APS-C, camera at a level somewhere between the D7xxx and the D500,  Ricoh is failing to meet, and they know it because they keep promising.

Pentax is known for smaller and lighter DSLR cameras, the battery grip is antithetical to that Idea.  Useful yes, but better to have a high capacity battery than having to add a grip.

True the K-1 is a biggish camera to begin with, but add the grip and it becomes more of Studio rig, and everyone knows Pentax doesn't make professional equipment. just ask DPReview.

I would expect if Ricoh has a camera they want to get to market, the K-3 III is a more likely candidate than the K-1 III.