On 6/29/2019 13:59:54, Ralf R Radermacher wrote:
Am 29.06.19 um 18:52 schrieb Daniel J. Matyola:
I get scammers on the phone pretending to be Google and wanting to help me
improve my firm's appearance of Google searches.

That we have as well plus the guys pretending to sell ads in a magazine
published by the police union that the police have never heard of. But
they're far from being the nuisance those Microsoft impostors have
become. I understand they try convince you there is something wrong with
your computer and then make you install some software that will give
them access to your accounts, passwords etc.

We've never let them get this far, though. It's just totally unnerving
since they have a fine sense for calling at the exact moment when you're
translating one of those endless sentences from a legal text and you're
just halfway there. :-/

Ralf

I have noticed a drop off in the number of these "Microsoft Technical Department" calls since I started questioning the callers for VERY SPECIFIC location information on where they're calling from.

I ask for City, State and Street Addresses & how I can find the room where their office is located within the building. I generally only have to repeat the last question once before they take the hint and disconnect.

And so far, they don't seem to call again after that.

I tried telling them I don't run Windoze on my computer[1], but that just confuses them.

OTOH, I get maybe a half dozen "open enrollment" robocalls every day on my cell phone.

I block the number and I get another call from the same robot using a different number (and from different area codes) . Fortunately, there is NO LIMIT on how many phone numbers I can block on my cell plan.

I don't know. These robocalls all represent themselves as either Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Ætna Insurance, and I haven't found anywhere to contact these companies to have them put me on their DO NOT CALL lists.

I do know better than to "Press 2 to be taken off our call list".

[1] Yeah, I do run Windoze, but I don't mind lying to telemarketers, since I'm not allowed to deal with them the way they DESERVE to be dealt with.