I would guess that the odd number is to avoid it being a [higher] harmonic of something else (native resolution, spatial sampling frequency, ...)

I've heard this type of advice to avoid aliasing-related artifacts.
I have some intuitive feeling why that *might be* the case, but I don't understand it at any reasonable level (and definitely far from being able to explain it).