I eschew glib saur-chasm :-)  Brian actually pointed to a way for me to do it in open office which is fine for future references. someone else
mentioned Libre office.. .

thanks  might try it at some point

ann

On 10/8/2019 12:44 PM, Nolan Hinshaw wrote:
On Oct 7, 2019, at 18:12, ann sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
Hey guys,
I have 72 kb doc file that is in MS Word ( 97/2000/xp) I'd like to convert to
PDF and I don't have the software/app to do that.  Is there someone who could
do it if I sent you the file as an attachment in email? I can read the file in
Open Office, But I want to send it to someone in PDF format if possible.
The glib answer from the saur-chasm is, “Get a Mac”[0], as PDF is one of the
native file formats in that environment. I’d thought that PDF was an option in
Open Orifice as well, but that seems not to be the case; I think it is with
Libre Office (“and you can export your work in many different formats including
PDF.” it sez in the web site at libreoffice.org), with which I’ve replaced Open
Office, and it may be a long-term better solution for other reasons, as it’s a
fork of Open Office from 2010, first released in 2011, and has a bright future
ahead of it.

[0] The easy, clean, and simple way to run well-behaved[1] applications for
µ$oft on a machine running MacOS or Linux or BSD or even Solaris is to have
WINE[2] or its fully-supported pre-compiled variant Crossover from
Codeweavers[3] to map the applications’ calls to the µ$oft Application Binary
Interface (ABI) into the underlying operating system’s ABI.

[1] as in only makes calls to the published Window$ ABI and not to unpublished
sekrit resources or to the underlying BIOS

[2] WINE Is Not an Emulator - see [0] above

[3] <http://www.codeweavers.com/products>; the company publishes lists of
applications known to work well with Crossover, provides support, and gives good
value for the money.
—
^<@<.@*
}"_# |