"I know that construction began in 784 and continued for 200 years or so. I
don’t know what was built when, but this was the first of the prayer galleries.
There is another on the other side of the cathedral, which is very similar but
somehow much less impressive."

Thanks. I've always been interested in the white-and-red masonry, which is
similar to Byzantine masonry of that period. Somewhere online I read that the
Cordoba mosque was modeled after the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, which was
designed by one or more Greek architects.

I've got to see this someday.

Joe