>> But your comments highlight one of my basic annoyances with On1: they do not
>> document adequately the basic operations of the software itself, or make it
>> particularly apparent without some insight and creativity of your own.
>
> That is also frustratingly true of Lightroom, it’s just that after ten years
> of using lightroom I’ve gained some intuitive understanding.  When they
> changed the editing engine, they specifically did not describe how all the
> sliders work.

hmm. I've not found anything about how LR works (db management, preferences and
file locations, etc) to be mysterious, and Adobe's LR tutorial videos that
demonstrate the way the rendering controls work are all excellent.

>> I used the migration tools with Lightroom 6.14 and they worked fine, if very
>> very slowly. Took well over three days to finish processing the 190,000
>> entries in my main LR database, and some were not convertable. I have a
>> couple of dozen different LR catalogs, but three are critical to my photo
>> work on an ongoing basis. Frankly, I don't trust On1 to process them all
>> well enough that I could discard the LR catalogs.
>
> One reason that I’m sticking with LR6.  I can always go back to Lightroom and
> work on the photos that are already in my catalogs. If I went to CC classic
> then as soon as I stop paying the ransomware, I wouldn’t be able to.

Not sure about that. But it doesn't really matter to me since every time I
finish a rendering, I output it and store it in a TIFF and/or JPEG output file.
I consider work in progress files in LR to be like negatives, and don't care if
I lose the preliminary edits I might have made.

>> Basic message: On1 Photo RAW is not a DAM. Lightroom is like a DAM with
>> image processing capabilities, not a file browser.
>
> DAM?

Data Asset Manager

>> On1 Photo RAW is an interesting app and has some usefulness, but for the
>> present I've erased it from my system and am getting work done again with LR
>> Classic. Next setup that I'm studying use of is Photos enhanced with RAW
>> Power, as I mentioned before. Meanwhile LR Classic costs me $10 a month…
>> Until I find the right replacement for LR, that's inexpensive compared to
>> not getting my photography done. :-)
>
> If I could upgrade and not lose the ability to work on things as soon as I
> stop paying the ransomware I would.
>
> It might be worth trying the upgrade and seeing if LR6 could handle the files
> afterwards.

LR Classic updates the LR .lrcat and preview files; the updated catalog file is
no longer compatible with LR 6.14. Archive your LR 6.14 catalog folders first
(only need to archive the .lrcat file, it will generate the previews when
needed). The original image files, of course, are always compatible since they
are basically untouched.