Not heresy at all, Bill, because it depends on what you're looking for in a lens. I find that good lenses designed for film, including of course the 77, have qualities that modulate the ever sharper, ever more detailed efforts of digital sensors available today.

If I were more heavily involved with photography requiring absolute resolution, I would likely carry more interest in the current lens array, including the newly announced 85, but since the majority of my current work calls for a subtler approach to fidelity, the 77 delivers what I want.

I haven't run across much fringing, but I mostly use the lens in controlled conditions unlikely to introduce it.

Yes, the AF is slow/clunky, which is sometimes an issue, and that it has a somewhat unfortunate minimum focusing distance is a niggle. God gave me feet for a reason, I guess.

My probably more important point, which got lost, is that the new 85 is just too close in length to the 77 to justify its addition to my bag despite the speed increase, when the 77 does the job for me.

The cost is also a consideration, especially in the current climate, when what I do, which is up and down at the best of times, is now virtually dead.

Do report back what you think of the new lens when it reaches you. I'm not terribly active on the list but I do keep up somewhat, and obviously the announcement of new product caught my attention.

Doug