On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:23:36AM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:

> > On Apr 11, 2020, at 10:49 AM, Bob Pdml <pdm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Godfrey. Lots to mull over. I thought about that mixed density issue
> > yesterday evening. Problem is, to try these ideas at the moment i???d have
> > to buy a full set-up, since nowhere is open like a photo club where i could
> > experiment. I???m very reluctant to spend money at the moment as there???s
> > a good chance i could be furloughed - they???ve already started at work -
> > and although they are making people???s pay up to 100% (at the moment) and
> > I am ready to draw my pension anyway, there is so much uncertainty around
> > that I am only spending on absolute necessities until the picture is a bit
> > clearer.
>

> You are so much more grownup than I am.  My thought processes generally go
> more like:
>
> I???m worried about losing my job, I should buy these things while I still
> can.

My wife will be retiring at the end of the year - I'm already retired.
We're definitely in the "trying to avoid too much spending while our
retirement investment portfolio (hopefully) recovers" category.

I am considering one significant purchase, though; I'll probably be buying
a new camera of some kind.  Until recently I'd only been contemplating the
new Pentax APS-C flagship (assuming it ever gets released).  But an outing
with Larry & Boris made me realise that I'm getting a bit too old to lug a
heavy bag full of lenses and suchlike around. That made me look at what it
would cost me to switch over to something lighter; the Olympus E-M1 Mk III
and a few matching lenses.  Fortunately I unexpectedly landed a short-term
job at the end of last year, so the funds have already been set aside.

It will be a while before I come to any firm decision.  But if I do decide
to go the Olympus route there'll probably be a few Pentax lenses for sale.