On 5/4/2020 2:54 PM, John wrote:
On 5/4/2020 15:58:25, Bill wrote:
On 5/4/2020 1:31 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
I agree. HDR is a tool that enables artistic expression. Just as a painter can resort to a pallet knife in lieu of a brush, a photographer can employ different tools to achieve an effect. I like the shot you singled out.

It's important to make a distinction between HDR, which is merely a method of capturing a scene that has a longer range than the sensor can handle, and tone mapping, which seems to be done so often in combination with HDR that the two are often treated as two parts of the same whole. This is an HDR image that I did when I was using the decidedly short range K7:

http://users.accesscomm.ca/wrphoto/HDRSample.html

K7, 12-24 lens at f/11, 8 exposures.

I agree that what most people criticize in HDR images is the tone mapping rather than the HDR itself, but they are two parts of the whole.

You don't have to go to the extremes of over-saturation some photographers use, but how would you use HDR to create an image without tone mapping?

That image is a perfect example of why I say HDR is best when it's not obvious that it is HDR.

Looking at that Trey Ratcliff gallery reminds me of the Thomas Edison quote about not having failed, but having found 10,000 ways that don't work.

The image I posted has zero tone mapping, or at least no tone mapping done as a separate operation. It's the operation called tonemapping that can give the cartoon effect that we all know and love.

bill