On 5/5/2020 10:47:09, Eric Weir wrote:

Emerging from lurking to ask for help.

A couple days ago I got out a shoebox of slides from a trip to Russia 20
years ago. A few were shown to the group I traveled with a month or so after
we returned home. Other than that I have done nothing with them. As a result
I am unable to identify many of the subjects and scenes. Nevertheless, some
are interesting, if not good photography. (They were shot with a Pentax K1000
and a fast 50mm lens, the only lens I took on the trip. Not sure of the film.
Best guess is Fuji Velvia 100.)

I would like to start scanning a selection of the slides. I have an Epson
Perfection V500 Photo scanner. I have always found the Epson scanning
software difficult. I recently forked over $100 for a VueScan license and
have found it much easier to work with. That said, yesterday I watched a
video demonstrating scanning with SilverFast and was impressed. Among other
things, It can eliminate dust and scratches, do color correction, and scans
to a Raw file. And the price is reasonable. I’d appreciate opinions on
SilverFast vs. VueScan

I have no experience scanning slides. one question is how to orient the
slides in the scanner, i.e., which side of the film should be up and which
down. My slides have the date and frame number on one side and “this side
toward screen.” should that side face up or down on the scanning table?

Random comments or advice about scanning slides would be welcome too.

Eric Weir > Decatur, GA  USA eew...@comcast.net

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz

Vuescan does all that - dust/scratch elimination, color correction and will scan to raw (DNG)

I'm pretty sure the side that says "This Side Toward Screen" goes down. That's the emulsion side and if it's up the scan image ends up reversed.

I found the VueScan interface easier to set up & use.