Hi Eric - I neither use nor like LR, so I can't be sure, but it would be
unlikely you would not have both those options in the software.

John in Brisbane

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML <pdml-boun...@pdml.net> On Behalf Of Eric Weir
Sent: Thursday, 7 May 2020 5:51 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Scanning slides

> On May 5, 2020, at 7:36 PM, jco...@iinet.net.au wrote:
>
> I've recently scanned many scores of slides, negatives, and prints from both
> my own work and others: some were shot on crap cameras and on slide film that
> lost all it's colour after some years of poor storage. Others were more than
> 100 years old, and in very poor condition.
> From my own experience:
> I prefer Epson software for 35mm and MF: I found the interface easier to use
> and it has most of the adjustment options that VueScan does.
> VueScan has a small menu  selection of the film used to shoot the original,
> Epson only allows choices between slides, and B&W or colour negative types.
> VueScan is the only choice, between the two, for APS film, as it finds the
> frame borders accurately, whereas the Epson does not.  Neither is very good
> with the sub-APS formats.
> I haven't noticed a lot of difference between scanning emulsion side down or
> up, to be honest.  With both slides and negatives, I put the shiny side down,
> as the texture of the emulsion *might* affect sharpness at high scan
> resolutions.
> Scan at a resolution high enough to give you a reasonable print capability:
> for example, if you want a 10x8 inch print from a 35mm slide, scan at 2400 or
> 3200 dpi.
> All dust and scratch elimination software tends to soften the image scanned:
> I prefer to use PS (or software of your choice) for post-process sharpening.
> The ICE technology in the Epson software I find useless in that regard.
> In post-processing, sharpen first then deal with dust and scratches: if you
> do it the other way around, the sharpening will reveal yet more flaws!
> Both programs will restore faded colour quite effectively, but may generate a
> bad colour cast if the original is really badly faded: slight fading is
> recoverable.
> There is not much you can do with a really awful shot!

Very helpful, John. I take you to be saying you prefer Photoshop for sharpening
and dust and scratch removal. Could that be done in Lightroom as well? My
experience with Epson Scan has mostly been frustrating. Not so VueScan.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@comcast.net

“This permanent doubt, the deep source of science.”

- Carlo Rovelli