Yes, "infrared clean" in VueScan is dust and scratch removal: it uses the
infrared scanning capability of scanners so equipped to detect dust and
scratches.

I scan with only one idea in mind: capture all the usable data. I leave all
additional processing for after the scanning is completed. So I usually don't
crop in the scanning at all, I keep an eye on the histogram to be sure that I'm
"windowing" the actual data completely, and my out-of-scanner files look like
crap … But they have all the data I need to work with. My edits are usually
very easy and quick as a result, unless it's a particularly screwed up
negative.

As example, here's a Minox 8x11mm negative I scanned with a copy camera
approach yesterday:

before:: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49870862427_abe274ff1d_o.png

As you can see, the capture window was wider than the negative tonally, which
means that ALL the data was captured across the board. And I always like to get
a bit of the rebate all around the image area in order that I have a reference
for what the "blackest" part of the image might be, and for ease of positioning
in scanning as well as flexibility in cropping. The follow-on screen capture ...

after:: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49870022788_9bef929f79_o.png

… shows a quick process of the image to positive tonalities. The tonal curve
and settings are not a complete picture: there are two gradient filter layers
for top and bottom in this image that I have no way to screen capture. All of
the processing, happened with the controls in the Tone Curve and Basic panels
and those two gradient filters. I deem this as good enough to output to a 16bit
TIFF for finish rendering (spotting, dust removal, localized edits, etc.). That
took about 20 seconds on one frame. I copied those settings to the set of negs
which I can then go into later and make small adjustments on each one

Fun stuff… And amazing how much information a teensy scrap of film only 8 x 11
mm in size can hold! :-)

—
No matter where you go, there you are.