That’s very similar to pommes Macaire, which uses chives rather than onion, and
sometime a mashed baked potato (without the skin) rather than a boiled or
steamed potato.

Mashed potato with caramelised onions piled on top is classic, and of course if
you have boiled cabbage or similar greens lying around then bubble and squeak
must be on the menu.