> On Feb 5, 2021, at 4:59 AM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> When shooting RAW and rendering to a tonality or contrast level other than
> conventional you’re not “fixing it in post.” You’re simply using the
> rendering tools that make digital a great medium. Through 20 years of
> shooting digital Ive tried both. Rendered effects are far superior to those
> achieved with filtration, probably because there’s no loss of light and in
> part because the digital conversion process is extremely flexible. Polarizers
> are a different matter because they can control reflection.

I mostly agree with Paul in regards to colored filters.  I have found that when
photographing musicians on some stages the color balance is so wonky to the red
that any exposure that doesn’t leave the blue end of the spectrum way down in
the noise will totally blow out the red channels.  In those cases a blue or
cyan filter can help even out the exposure on the sensor to keep more of it
within the dynamic range.  Similarly, when photographing with black light, a
yellow filter can help block out the purple/blue from the black lights and get
more of the fluorescent effect without the background light.

There are times, in harsh environments that I’d rather protect a $1000 lens
with a $50 UV filter.  There are also times that I like to have a polarizer and
occasionally an ND.  Even with filter adapters, that can still add up to
carrying several filters.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com