Mark wrote "For an interesting study of the phenomenon of "denial", see the
rec.photo.equipment.aps newsgroup"

No kidding.... I used to monitor the rec.photo 35mm, APS and MF groups on
nearly a daily basis.  The 35mm group had hundreds of messages per day - the
APS group usually had less than 10.

APS only made a strong impact in the Japanese domestic market and in
Northern Europe (Switzerland/France/Germany on up). In Scandinavia, at one
time, the APS market share for zoom compacts was well over 60%. In Southern
Europe (Italy/Spain/Portugal) APS was never really a factor (I don't think
it ever went above a 5% share in Spain.)  Central / Eastern Europe -
virtually nothing.  US market - somewhere around 15% of zoom compacts.

Current situation - the high market shares seem to be falling (more rapidly
than 35mm) while digital is on a steady increase. I heard recently that
digital cameras account for around 60% of the VALUE of the total camera
market across Europe,

Pat