I really don't think film will disappear anytime soon.  The interesting
question is if there will be room in the smaller market for Pentax.
In addition, smaller sales provides less R&D money, so it becomes hard
to keep up.  I'm not sure how diversified Pentax is, although I do know
they make medical imaging equipment, binoculars etc.  I image they could
provide lenses for other companies as well.  They also have certain
patents which they licence without actually producing the technology.

Does anyone know where you can look at any financial information about
these companies?

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 463-8873
FAX: (540) 463-8878
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> An excerpt from, THE REVOLUTION IN PHOTO MARKETING, PART
> II - The Darker View, from:
> http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0206/editorial.htm

I, personally, like the last paragraph:

"Many of these retailers see a gradual move in the future back to
film.
   According to one, "most people don't know what the hell they are
doing
   with those digital images. A lot of people got into it as a fad."
   Dick Bagdassarian, says," I have 3 children. The first child has
the
   most pictures. The last child has the least. 20 years later you
look
   at the photos and see the value of them. You don't want to forget
the
   big picture. Enthusiasm with digital can be very rewarding, but it
may
   not have the information you will want years from now. You can't go
   back."

--
http://www.infotainment.org
         "The destructive character is cheerful."  - Walter Benjamin