Thanks all. This image pretty well sums it up.

And some stunt planes: https://www.fluidr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157705985048831/

The planes are just too distant - too small - out of range. A bit like trying to photograph an eagle in flight at 300m!

I used TAV 1000sec,  f8 exclusively.  Tried single, 5 point & 11 point focusing. I started by focusing on the moon. In all auto focus modes the camera just couldn't lock on to the planes. There was no lens creep. Didn't try panning.

Today is the first day of the 4 day competition. Yesterday was official practice but spectators could not actually get access to the airfield. From today, limited access will be possible subject to Covid restrictions. There is a large rooftop area above the terminal which would will be perfect, otherwise I'll just have to find a suitable place.

Alan C
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List