On 8/17/2021 15:39:09, John Francis wrote:
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 07:41:12PM +0200, Alan C wrote:
The South African Aerobatic Championships is currently on in Phalaborwa with
plenty of Photographic opportunities. I've tried everything but just don't
seem to be able to focus on fast moving aircraft at height. I get close with
MF but AF.S?? AF.C are hopeless. Perhaps someone can enlighten me? Perhaps
screw drive is too slow? I've tried the K5 with the HD 55-300 @ 300mm & the
Sigma 170-500 DG @ 500mm. I can focus just fine on the quarter moon!

Are you sure it's focus that is your problem?  A plane flying at 250mph
(which is what the faster aerobatic planes seem to be capable of) will
move over a foot in 1/250 of a second - more than enough to blur the shot.
If you haven't had a lot of practice panning to keep your target relatively
stationary in the viewfinder you're going to see quite a few fuzzy shots.

While you can elimnate much of the motion with higher shutter speeds you
then end up with shots that look strange because the propellers appear to
be almost stationary (e.g. http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/FatAlbert.jpg)
--

I find 1/125 is about the fastest shutter speed I can use for propeller driven aircraft and still get sufficient propeller blur it doesn't look wrong.

%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List