On 10/12/2021 10:32 AM, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

Some of you might have heard about this incident - it's been on the national news. But just in case you didn't hear what was the culprit, - that was a "vintage" style camera and human stupidity.

I am quoting this article from PetaPixel:

"The incident reportedly occurred after a woman spotted a fellow passenger scrolling through videos and photos of vintage cameras. She mistook the images of vintage cameras for bombs and believed that the passenger was looking up bomb-making instructions.

The woman’s fears peaked after the man pulled out his own vintage camera and began fiddling with its settings — she believed that he was setting a timer on a bomb’s detonator. She then notified a flight attendant and the pilots decided to land in Queens.

https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/

After they landed, the guy with the camera was seen face down on the tarmac.

A bunch of news outlets wrote later:
"Authorities determined there was no criminality at play in an incident Saturday when a passenger was detained after reports of suspicious behavior, prompting the flight arriving at New York City's LaGuardia Airport to be deplaned on the tarmac."

I guess they decided that stupidity that caused the scare is not criminal.

The news snippet I saw on TV claimed that the guy had a camera that was similar to a Mamia TLR.

It is interesting, that someone suggested in the comments that DHS (Homeland Security) had initiated a fear of cameras a few years ago: https://www.cjr.org/united_states_project/homeland-security-photography-warning.php

Another Karen to the rescue, it seems.

Like it or not, the level of paranoia is now so high that anything someone sees as out of the ordinary is suspicious, that anything that can be taken the wrong way will be taken to the extreme, and the excuse of "what if it really was something" will be used over and over again to support the most egregious and over the top reactions to what would have been viewed as nothing not many years ago.

This is how we lose our freedoms, one Karen at a time, and frankly, this is how we lose our democracies, one authoritarian over reach at a time.

People will, if their minds are ruled by fear, trade freedom for a facsimile of safety.

bill
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List