Larry -
When I've taken photos of myself for various reasons over the years  I used a couple of different methods..  most recently I set a chair with a back on it a few feet from the camera and put a gray card or something like it at the level my head and shoulders would be .. then I took a photo of the card and checked the exposure , etc... changed the focus to manual so it wouldn't change.. set the self timer on to 10 sec .. and sat down.  it never is right the first click of course... if I had had a remote I would have clicked away, changing my expression, etc..

also, you can set up a mirror next to the camera at the level of the lens and use a remote for the exposure .. it's more about teaching yourself how to model
than anything else.

You end up with a bunch of shots from which you can chose one..

ann