Rick, it's an annual process. The dam is mostly quite shallow, from about 6m deep near the wall to about 1m near the upper reaches when it is full. By Sept. at the end of the dry season it generally gets down to about 20%, about 2m deep near the wall & nothing at the upper reaches. If the annual rainfall is the normal 500 odd mm it will flll up by the end of the rainy season in March. This season we have almost had that already so it will stay full for many months now. In 1999/2000 when we had close to 1100mm it was at times right over the road at the N end (in that one photo). Hippos & Crocs will move up-steam to the dam.

Alan C