On 1/21/2022 10:11 AM, Ralf R Radermacher wrote:
Am 21.01.22 um 16:15 schrieb Bill:

Or, they can do all their selling direct to their customers online,
where most people are shopping anyway and drop inventories to
practically zero.

This might work in some markets but not in others. Germany still has
decent brick-and-mortar photo stores in all bigger cities, offering good
service, advice and the possibility to touch and try things in the
store. Prices there are not or only marginally higher than online.

While dealers like Foto Gregor in Cologne or AC-Foto in Aachen still
offer all other brands, I don't see this as a very intelligent move by
Pentax. I'm afraid they'll marginalise themselves even further.

Still, it's their business and they can ruin it any way they like.

Germany might be a bit of an outlier. In Canada, we are probably down to under a hundred camera stores total for the entire country (land mass over 27x that of Germany)
Much of the world now does the bulk of their shopping online.
Sometimes cost cutting doesn't make sense, sometimes it does. Having literally millions of dollars tied up in dead inventory, which is what happens with demo products and inventory that may or may not sell sitting on a store shelf is something that may not make sense. Everyone has an opinion, I expect the wonks at Ricoh are looking at the bigger picture. You may think they are ruining their business, but then, you aren't running a camera company.

bill
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List