Rick,
It's been close to 20 years since I've looked at a Pentax camera or lens at a brick-and-mortar store in the US.
(That was at Adorama in 2001).

So, all 4 Pentax DSLRs I've owned (and a bunch of Pentax lenses) were purchased by mail, - mostly from B&H and Adorama.

With the proposed change (if I understand it correctly), Pentax products might no longer be available through B&H, Adorama (and Amazon). The decrease in the number of channels lowers the competition, and that drives the prices up. If Ricoh own outlets will be the only source, there will be no big Black Friday/Cyber-Monday sales from B&H/Adorama, as those in several pre-pandemic years.

But, as Bill wrote, - Ricoh needs to change something to revive the brand.
The time will tell if they bet on the right horse.

Igor