> On Jan 26, 2022, at 2:31 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I don’t know much about a Linux but I would guess it’s only rarely updated.
> If it had all the capability you need, you wouldn’t have to worry about the
> policy of other OS providers.
>
> Paul

Software on a Linux system is not provided from a monolithic source.  Pretty
much every program has people who maintain it, and since for the most part the
source code is published, if there is a problem pretty much anyone
theoretically has the opportunity to fix a bug.  As such, updates and patches
happen constantly, though most people get them through the people who publish
their preferred distribution.

As to Linux, the operating system itself, 96% of the world’s top 1 million
servers run Linux.

Looking at this article:
https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/linux-statistics/

• In 2021, 100% of the world’s top 500 supercomputers run on Linux.
• Out of the top 25 websites in the world, only 2 aren’t using Linux.
• 96.3% of the world’s top 1 million servers run on Linux.
• 90% of all cloud infrastructure operates on Linux

Android runs on Linux and has 75% of the mobile OS market

85% of all smartphones are based on Linux.

In short the only thing I currently need that I can’t do on Linux is run
Lightroom, and now I suppose scrivener.  Unfortunately, that accounts for a
tremendous amount of my time using a computer and there aren’t any programs
I’ve found that work quite as well for doing what I need to do.  With a 12 year
investment in my lightroom catalog I’m kind of locked into using it for a
while.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com.   sent from ret4est