Dan

Only the Leatherback & Loggerhead Turtles breed in Southern Africa, notably on the shores of Zululand, Mozambique & various Indian Ocean Islands. Personally, I have never seen them on the beaches. I have seen footage of people viewing them offshore from their Microlights! However, the Turtles have come under threat in recent years because of egg poaching & destruction (squashing) of nests by irresponsible people driving their 4x4's on the beaches. The authorities have tried to intervene but the coastline is just too long for the available manpower so the problem persists. National Parks are monitoring beaches "popular" with the turtles. The nesting sites are cordoned off & guarded after laying so the newly hatched Turtles can be collected & deposited in the sea beyond the breakers. This ensures a greater survival rate because they are spared from predators like crabs & seagulls.

Alan C