Rick, I have several 4, 8, and 10TB OWC drives. My older 4TB holds most of my
photos. It is on a high shelf in the closet. My newest 10TB has a copy of
everything. My two 8TB hold my working backups A and B which I also copy to
every few weeks. My 2020, 2021, and 2022 images are on my internal drive. If I
had only one external holding everything, I would be very nervous, even without
a possible Disk Utility issue.
So, in short, worried or not, I suggest you get a new 10TB OWC, copy everything
off the (failing?) 8TB, and continue using the 8TB as primary with frequent
backups to the newer drive.

Stan

Sent from my iPad