Thanks to those who replied.  Alas, the DNGs no longer exist where either LR or
Spotlight can find them.

I unmounted both external drives and ran Disk Utility. Both have problems. The
message for the primary (Toshiba) drive is "OWC Toshiba: "The partition map
needs to be repaired because there's a problem with the EFI system partition's
file system : (-69766)”.  The secondary (WD) drive gets the report "OWC
Toshiba: "The partition map needs to be repaired because there's a problem with
the EFI system partition's file system : (-69766).  Western Digital:  Container
disk okay; Container disk 3 "Storage system verify or repair failed  :(-69716)

Sheesh, both hard drives crap out at the same time. I had no idea that
Backblaze would fail to back up files when I selected “Back up now”.

What now? I have another unused (somewhat creaky) hard drive. Do I copy all the
files to it, and reformat the other two?

Rick