Filmed her many times over the years, she always seemed very pleasant. Of
course she would never acknowledge us mere mortals with cameras! Did however
meet the king (as Prince of Wales) in 2018. I was commissioned by Associated
Press to film his Easter message to the Commonwealth. Stefan was with me as a
second camera. There was about a dozen people in the room we had set up in 2
hours before. We had to be lined up to greet him when he came in and I was told
to stand nearest the door. In he came rubbing his hands together with a broad
smile and I was introduced to him. Shook hands and his aide said Steve is the
cameraman sir, to which he replied ‘Oh you’re the cameraman! Well it’s a bloody
good job you’re here then isn’t it!’ and roared with laughter. He then met Stef
and the reporting team.

He gave his address to camera (using a teleprompter - a screen in front of the
lens with his speech scrolling on it) in one perfect take. The plan was to then
re-set for a one-to-one interview with an AP reporter, with mine and Stef’s
cameras covering. The aide whispered in his ear and he looked at his watch and
with a cheery wave to us all and was gone!

I’m no royalist - I tolerate them. To be fair Charles does have a good attitude
to things of an ecological nature. They’re too embedded in our society and we
have no lust for change as a country, so they stay on. Maybe during the next
civil war!

Cotty

Footnote: To those that met Stefan when I brought him along to GFM in 2007 was
it? and elsewhere, Stef is now living with his partner Eloise (seamstress in
feature films) in Wimbledon and works as a freelance cameraman usually for ITV
News at Millbank - opposite parliament and close to Downing Street. Lots of
political filming, and also for AP doing red carpet filming for newly released
feature films. So he’s doing really well and enjoying life as only a 29 year
old could :-)