I think the point of it, according to what I read, is that the useless toy is a
test-bed on which Ricoh will develop a film SLR.

It’s interesting to note that a lot of young people into photography are
curious about film and want to explore possibilities. My own son has acquired a
film SLR, and also took an old Olympus XA-2 I gave him on holiday loaded with
Fujifilm. It seems the retro logistics of film is catching on - who’da thunk
it?!

Cotty