Hello!

I'm going to photograph my sister college graduation ceremony tomorrow and
have a problem and some questions regarding the gear.
I've borrowed from a friend a Sigma 75-300 zoom to extend my focal range (I
only have 135) and this seems to work perfecly.
But I have a problem with the flash I've also borrowed from him. It's a Metz
54MZ-3 unit equipped with SCA3702 hot shoe adapter (Pentax dedicated).
The camera (MZ-M) doesn't notice that the flash is mounted. When set to A it
set long shutter speeds as if there was no flash. But flash fires anyway.
What can be wrong? My friend told me that this hot shoe adapter is for the
whole MZ range (it works perfectly with his MZ-7) and he didn't had a clue
what this could mean. I don't have the manual for the adapter so can't
confirm that this is the correct adapter. I only have a pdf downloaded for
the flash itself but it doesn't say anything about that.
I guess it might be related only to the hot-shoe adapter so maybe someone
did use such a combo and experienced similiar problems and solved it???

If I don't find an aswer I would have to remember to use the 1/100th-X speed
and have no ready confirmation in the viewfinder which doesn't seem all that
bad but the thing keeps bothering me.

Maciej