David Chang-Sang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What's the color like compared to Velvia which is ISO 50 ?
> It seems that people are either Velvia lovers or Velvia haters
- I don't
> mind the film but if the colors on the Provia 100 are a little
more subtle,
> it may be the film for me when it comes to chromes.
>
> Anyone ever try or use both ?

Hi Dave,

I've been a Velvia user since its introduction. In the past the
results I could obtain from that film were not to my
expectations. More than excessively saturated, the colours were
unreal... I tink there was some kind of problem about its
compatibility with some processing labs.
Now I like it a lot and it's my film of choice when I travel.
What I still do not like about it is its excessive tendency to
let the shadows go completely black if you underexpose. It's not
the kind of film I like to use in a bright sunny day, even if
its speed makes this statement a sort of nonsense...
When I discovered the Provia 100F, though, I thought I had found
MY slide film. The colours are more 'real' and the contrast is a
lot more manageable. Its colour rendition is so neutral that
compared to the Velvia it seems a bit (a tiny bit) dull.
I use extensively the Provia 100F in 120 format, for paid
assignments, when I shot in mixed light conditions (I mean very
mixed: daylight plus flashlight plus neon light...): that's
where it is really unbeatable. I really like its ability to keep
a lot of detail in the shadows.

Hope this helps.

Gianfranco

=====