On 1 Jul 2002 at 9:49, Peifer, William [OCDUS] wrote:

> These funny screws are used on lots of different Pentax cameras, and I've
> found an easy way to remove them I thought I'd share with anyone interested. I
> take a paperclip, then bend it so that both ends are straight, parallel, and
> spaced the same distance apart as the two holes in the top of the silver screw.
> I then insert the ends of the bent paperclip into the holes in the screw,
> pushing in as far as the wire ends will go.  I then grasp these two ends of the
> paperclip wires firmly in the jaws of a pair of needle-nose pliers, at a point
> as close as possible to the head of the screw.  I can then rotate the screw
> without bending the wire ends of the paperclip.  Works OK for me -- hopefully it
> may work for others as well.

Hi Bill,

I use the "paper clip" method too, cut the clip with flush wire cutters then
file the ends smooth, OK for the cap on the advance lever. However in the case
of the screw in the middle of the shutter speed dial the holes are so small
that if you could find a paper clip of the correct diameter the material would
readily deform hence the use of drills. If you use a vice grip in conjunction
with drills of paper clips then you can ensure that the assembly will stay
rigid and correctly spaced.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA