Thank you all who responded to my question. I am sorry I didn't reply
earlier, I was quite busy these few days.

I have been inside the spottie already (to clean and lube the shutter
spindles), but never yet under the top cover.

The battery chamber I checked first, then I checked the connection
under the switch under the front standard. All working. So it must be
something in the prism area, either bad meter coil or bad soldering
(hopefully).

The pitfall of the reverse-threaded screw under the wind lever is very
good to know, thanks! I would really hate having to trash the entire
assembly if I busted this one screw (or dremel cutting a slot into
what would be left of the screw once the head snapped off).

Again, thank you all for a very good description. Also I thank very
much these who replied off-list.

I will keep you posted what the culprit was :)

Good light,
   Frantisek Vlcek