----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Hoffman
Subject: Flash meter

> I assume I will need to buy a flash meter.  Looking at these I
see that you
> fire a test flash at the meter and it gives you an appropriate
f stop which
> is great but what would be the shutter speed?  The sync speed
on my Pentax
> 645NII is 1/60 but how does the flash meter know that?

The flash meter doesn't care what the shutter speed is. All it
meters is the flash output. Some of them can be set up to meter
ambient in addition to the flash, but that is something that you
don't really need to think about in the studio.

And what if I used a
> different shutter speed?

Go over your sync speed and you will get the typical flach sync
failure. Go to far under and you may start to see the modeling
lights.
Just shoot at sync and all will be well.

> Any suggestions on a simple yet inexpensive flash meter?  I
see some of them
> cost more than many cameras!

I use an old Minolta IIIF which is very nice, and may be
available used for cheap, as they have been around for a while.
I operate on the KISS system, so I would get the simplest meter
I could get. I find many of them to complicated for what is a
very simple measurement.

> I have a Pentax 645NII.  I need a hot shoe adaptor to connect
to the
> strobes.  Any suggestions?

They don't put a PC socket on that camera? I thought it was
supposed to be a "PRO" camera.
HAMA makes a hot shoe to PC socket adaptor that is quite cheap.

> Thanks in advance for any help.

Yer welcome
William Robb